Sunday, September 9, 2007

I Finally Found a Thermometer / Por Fin Conseguí Termómetro

You may remember that I wasn’t able to find a thermometer in Quibdó to measure air temperature, so I couldn’t answer the common question, “How hot is it there?” I figured it wouldn’t be hard to find one in Bogotá, but in fact I had just about given up after visiting some really terrific hardware stores, and a few smaller shops.

Then, I was walking down the street and passed a shop that sells chemicals and other supplies to laboratories, and I thought, labs sometimes need to know the ambient temperature. I thought they would have something too technical and expensive for me, but decided to give it a try. In fact they had exactly two models, modest and quite inexpensive.

So I’ll go back to Quibdó equipped to try to estimate the temperature. If you have good eyes, perhaps you can see in the photo that it was about 17.5 degrees Celsius (63.5 Fahrenheit) in my room when I took the picture. Pretty typical, though some nights it gets colder.

Por Fin Conseguí Termómetro

Es posible que se acuerden que no podía encontrar termómetro en Quibdó para medir la temperatura ambiental, pues no podía contestar a la pregunta común--¿ Qué tan caliente es allá? Creía que no iba a ser difícil encontrar una en Bogotá, pero en realidad estaba por rendirme después de haber visitado unas ferreterías bonísimas, y unas más pequeñas..

Luego, caminaba en la calle cuando pasé una tienda que vende químicas y otros suministros a laboratorios, y pensé, los laboratorios a veces deben saber la temperatura ambiental. Creyó que tendrían algo demasiado técnico y demasiado caro, pero decidí intentarlo. Efectivamente, tenían precisamente dos modelos, modestos y baratos.

Pues vuelvo a Quibdo preparado a intentar estimar la temperatura. Si tienen ojos buenos quizás pueden ver en la foto que hacía 17.5 grado en mi cuarto cuando saqué la foto. Más o menos típico, aunque algunas noches hay más frío.

No comments: