Monday, August 6, 2007

Birding in El Chocó/Pajareando en El Chocó


















l./izq.: Lemon-rumped Cacique (Cacicus cela) r./der.: Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus)

The natural environment in El Chocó can only be described as exuberant. Perhaps I’ll enter something about the trees, the flowers, the palms, the ferns, the lepidoptera and odonata, toads, lizards in the future. But for the moment, it’s the avifauna that has my attention.

I’m a birder. At home I consider myself a moderately good birder; I’m not among the best, but I certainly don’t walk around the woods feeling confused most of the time. Here it’s something else.

Colombia has one of the highest, if not the highest, number of bird species of any country in the world—nearly twice as many species as the US. They’re not all here in El Chocó, but there are certainly a lot. Right here in the Casa de Encuentros, where I stay in Quibdó, I’ve probably seen 30 or more species during my various visits. The sheer number and variety of birds I see is invigorating, but here I run into some frustrating problems in identifying them.

I’m such a newbie here. Almost all the birds are new, and there are entire families that are new to me. There are birds that I’ve seen often, about which I have detailed notes, and I can’t find them in the guidebook—because of my own inexperience, of course. And so far, I haven’t found anyone who could put me on the right path.

Still, I’ll keep trying. If you want to follow my list of birds seen on this trip, which I’ll try to update from time to time, check out www.stevecagan.com/Choco/Birdlist-Colombia, 2007.html



El medio ambiente en El Chocó solo puede describirse como exuberante. Quizá escribiré algo sobre los árboles, las flores, las palmeras, los helechos, lepidoptera, odonata, sapos, lagartos en el futuro. Peor por el momento, es la avifauna que me llama la atención.

Soy pajarero. En casa me considero pajarero más o menos bueno; no me encuentro dentro los mejores, pero por cierto no camino en el bosque sintiéndome confundido generalmente. Acá es otra cosa.

Colombia es un país que se encuentra entre los que más especies de aves tienen—si no es el más alto. Tiene casi el doble de EEUU. No están todas acá en El Chocó, pero hay muchas. Acá nomás en la Casa de Encuentros donde me quedo en Quibdo, probablemente he visto más que 30 especies durante mis varias visitas. La mera cantidad y variedad de pájaros que veo me entusiasma, pero acá encuentro problemas frustrantes en identificarlos.

Soy novato por completo acá. Casi todos los pájaros me son nuevos, y hay hasta familias enteras que me son nuevas. Hay pájaros que he visto mucho, sobre los cuales tengo apuntes detallados, y que no los encuentro en el libro guía, por supuesto debido a la falta de experiencia mía. Y hasta el momento no he encontrado a nadie que me ponga en el camino acertado.

Sin embargo, sigo en el intento. Si quieren consultar la lista de aves vistas en este viaje, que intentaré actualizar de vez en cuando, ver a www.stevecagan.com/Choco/Birdlist-Colombia, 2007.html (lastimosamente, solo en inglés; el único libro guía de campo que tengo es en inglés).

No comments: